[jhb_airlines] Re: Wednesday's FPI (EGPD - EGCC)

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:31:08 +0100

Oddly enough I wondered where Alex got his EGPD - EGCC data from as I
thought it wasn't quite right. He may have an old data file on his system as
he also routes aircraft from Newcastle to POL for the STAR and that went out
a long time ago.

ADN NGY DCS ROSUN1B is fine for me and DCS LAKEY ROSUN1A is fine too (I'm
not fussy). <vbg>

"All routes seem to give a DCT ADN departure. As you are aware  ADN is North
of the airfield.
If departing South from runway 16, does this mean turning North to ADN then
a 180 deg turn South, again."

That indeed is the procedural route but don't get confused here. The
published routes in the AIP assume that the pilots are flying without any
radar coverage - they are non radar procedures. Because of this the
departure from any airfield has to fly to a nearby navaid to pick up the
airway route. In this case it is ADN and for Ronaldsway it is IOM.

In reality aircraft don't take off and fly to this navaid. As you say, it
would be daft to take off on 16 and turn north to the ADN, just as it would
be daft for aircraft to take off from 08 at EGNS and turn back to the IOM
VOR.

For IOM departures we expect aircraft to aim for the centre of the airway at
a suitable fix - usually KELLY - rather than go to the IOM. For EGPD I would
expect the controller to clear you on course - in which case you would aim
for GLESK.

In fact I've just had a look at the AIP page and Aberdeen doesn't have a
specific Departures section - but the Noise Abatement rules seem to cover
this. For 16 it says:

"Climb straight ahead. At ADN DME 8.5 nm or 800 ft aal whichever is the
later, turn right to the AQ NDB. At the AQ NDB turn left to GLESK and then
to PTH VOR."