[jhb_airlines] Re: Wednesday

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 01:14:33 +0100

Good. We all make mistakes and I'm sure the lads hoot with delight and blow
raspberries when I do. I probably make more in FPI/PC because I can't always
reel off the instructions that have become automatic over the last 35 years
as some would baffle pilots. That leads to hesitation and hesitation results
in goofs.

The only reason, and I mean ONLY reason, you tell someone he's made a
mistake is because it was wrong and can be corrected. The last bit is
important as there isn't any point in highlighting mistakes that are not
correctable - or are too late to be corrected. Likewise I don't tell people
that they are doing something wrong simply because they aren't doing it the
way I would do it. That can easily become destructive criticism.

There are many times I see a traffic situation evolving knowing it could be
done better. This again doesn't raise any comment from me (unless it is
excessive) because traffic management is something you all have to learn
through experience rather than being told what to do. I want you all to
think and not become sheep - and I would be more than happy to give advice
if someone asks me the best way to deal with a particular situation.

In most cases with live traffic there isn't time to explain how to handle a
situation in the short time available before it all goes to runny stuff.
That is why we tend to be blunt - you ain't got time to be nice. Trainees
have to be thick skinned too and realise it isn't personal. If they do then
ATC isn't the job for them and they should take up bonsai pruning or join
the huggy fluffy brigade.

In real life we have to be good because pilots will scream like hell if they
get any delay for which there is no obvious reason. In simulated ATC we
aren't under that pressure but pilots will rapidly develop a liking or
disliking for certain controllers if they get messed around a lot. In this
case we have to be good because it makes us popular and this draws in more
aircraft. Always put yourself in the position of the pilot and ask yourself
whether YOU would like the instructions you are about to hand out. As we say
in real life if you mess around your mates too much you soon find you don't
have any mates - and don't gets invitations to the crew parties. A real
killer that one is. <g>

The best way to self improvement is to look at every session and see where
you could have done it better. For example if you are tempted to orbit an
aircraft would it be better to ask for a higher rate of descent or ask the
aircraft to slow down - holds and orbits being a last resort in ATC when
everything else has failed. Likewise if you have two aircraft inbound at the
same time is it really necessary to hold off the second when speed control
or a slight heading change would have things sorted in seconds.

The above comes with practise and, more importantly, the need to look ahead.
Decisions should be made before the traffic appears on your frequency - if
you only turn your brain on when the aircraft calls you it's too late. Think
ahead.

Enough. Pin this up and learn it.