[jhb_airlines] Re: Was: Unsolicited Effect - now Idiot's guide to Linux

  • From: Phil Reynolds <phil.reynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:08:12 +0000

Hi Mike,

If you could send me a copy, that would be great!

Cheers

Phil

Mike Lucas wrote:
I have replied to Peter's questions about Linux, below, off-list. If anyone else is considering trying Linux and would this 'Idiot's Guide' please let me know and I will send you a copy.

Mike L

Peter Dodds wrote:
I could do with a complete idiots guide to installing Linux. Where do I get it for starters? Is it easy to install? How long will it take me to be up and running so that I can earn money in it's environment? Can I still port documents across to Windows for my clients who won't move I'm sure (the Microsoft Monoliths of the water Supply Industry). Will it network with windows machines on the same LAN? Where can i get lots of valuable tools, such as automatic backups, clip savers, Paintshop Pro? What email clients are available and do they do proper message threading? How does FS run - in a windows emulator? And the Vatsim connection software? and.... My list is endless, but a starting point would be good. I have a new virtually empty machine here, and it would be a golden opportunity over the Christmas holidays to set it up in parallel with Windows for a couple of months to see how I got on.

I hate being told what to do by anybody, ATC excepted <g>, so I'm getting very disturbed at these MS trends. I'm not fussed on IE7 either.