[jhb_airlines] Visual Reference Points

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:56 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

Hello All,
I need a bit of help, if any of you have time or inclination.  We
(Cix VFR Club) are planning a night flight from Redhill to
Stansted on December 8th, and need to be able to identify three
visual reference points.  There is a file on AVSIM (and on our
web site) ukvrpv1.zip which has a lot of them, shown as barbers
poles (with a red light on top for night flying), but at least
two of the ones we need aren't in it.
I wonder if anyone who is into scenery design could create a
simple lit scenery object for us which is clearly visible at
night from a range of about 10 miles, probably red is the best
colour, but not flashing - too obvious.

We will be switching off the UK VFR scenery as it has absolutely
no lights at all at night, which is unrealistic, eery even, so
the objects need to be visible among the default
scattered-glow-worms effect which the FS default scenery provides
and calls street lighting!

I need them placed as follows: -

Reigate Railway Station N51 14.52 W000 12.25
Junction 7 M25/Junction 8 M23 N51 15.83 W000 07.68
Epping (town) N51 42.00 E000 06.67

I would be extremely grateful. Details of the event are on our
web site if anyone wants to join in (it will be VATSIM hosted).
This is "Night VFR" flying light aircraft.  Flight is under IFR,
but using visual clues as well as radio beacons for navigation.
Bit more of a challenge than daytime VFR.