[jhb_airlines] Re: Very Small

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 09:54:27 +0000

Thanks Mike.

Just had a similar reply from my son, who I eventually remembered has one of his machines on Linux.

The fly in the ointment, in his reply, was the "why don't you go for the 901? ". That's a reasonable question but, once on that roundabout and, logically, I could also consider the Acer Aspire. Soon I'd lose sight of the fact that I don't need another one badly enough to start paying close to £300. The initial attraction of the Eee with Linux is its sub £200 price.

Gerry Winskill

Mike Lucas wrote:
Gerry

Sorry for delay in replying to your Linux queries.

1. Yes - external LaCie USB drive could be connected to Linux on Asus Eee.

2. Dual OS/boot would require Linux to be installed after Windo$e. Linux will see a pre-exisiting M$ o/s, but not vice versa. But can you boot from your LaCie external drive in any case?

3. (Your later post about photo display capability) - Linux has more than one equivalent to Picture and Fax viewer.

Mike L

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Mike,

Am I right in assuming the Linux machine, with its 3 USB sockets, could link up with the external LaCie USB HD, that sits here on my desk?

I seem to recall, in the past and in your role of resident Linux guru, you've mentioned dual OS setups. Would it be possible to run an Eeee, when sitting here, from Windows based on the LaCie?

Gerry Winskill

Mike Lucas wrote:
Gerry

The Linux model will connect to Windows network OK.

Mike L

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Yesterday I noticed a small laptop type PC, in the window of our local PC purveyor. It's got a 7" screen and a keyboard. It's the Asus Eee 4Gb 701. Although it's available with Windows, the usual OS is Linux, of which I know not wot!

I'd guess most of the 4Gb would be grabbed by Windows so, first question, is the Linux OS less space greedy?

Next, could a Linux machine connect with this Windows based network, when at home?

The attraction of this Asus is part price but primarilly its size. It could disappear amongst the clothes, in a suitcase, rather than having to be dragged around as hand baggage.

On holiday the attraction is that it would allow me to look at and process photographs, having an inbuilt card reader. It's also about £150 cheaper than a dedicated photo storage and viewing device. It's also set up to connect to wireless setups.