[jhb_airlines] Re: VFR

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 11:58 +0100 (BST)

I suspect I would too, but I haven't installed FS9 on this machine, and at
the moment, I don't plan to.  My current PC runs FS9 at about 40FPM with
all the addons, and my laptop runs FSX at 14FPM, so what I'm now getting
(and it's gone up to 80 now I've installed SP2) is a significant
improvement.

The machine came from Maplin and was built for me FOC by the Manager from
Maplin stock parts.  He said he rarely "got the chance" to build machines
for customers, but he clearly was keen to do it.
The motherboard is the AMD QUAD CORE Phenom? 9550
The graphics card is an Nvidia® Geforce 9600GSO 768MB PCI-E
4 Gb Ram (DDE2 i think)
There are two 230Gb SATA Hard Drives
Two DVD RW drives
An 8 channel PCI sound card
All wrapped up in a Mesh ATX PC Case with Super Size 250mm Fan in the side
(and another 100mm fan in the back). Ultra cool, ultra quiet.
The PSU was separate. Catalogue No. A72FH 570Watts

Total cost was a tad less than £700 inc VAT.  I haven't seen anything to
match it anywhere else, and the Maplin guy was brilliant. He built the
machine "over the weekend" and on the Monday morning I went in with my
Windows XP disk and we set the machine up together. Took about 2 hours. He
also threw in a "free gift" - he didn't specify price, so being reasonable,
I opted for one of their ultra minikeyboards, which is now velcroed to the
top of my yoke and makes a very neat installation for online flying.  What
was that service worth? - A lot!

Peter