[jhb_airlines] Re: VFGM for FSX

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 10:36:34 +0100

Help!!
I've downloaded it twice but, when playing, all I get is annoyingly repetitive pseudo music and a black screen.
Any ideas please and is it possible to save the download?

I've been a bit slow to pick up on this topic but it looks like there will
be two competing products for photo scenery of the UK for FSX. Sadly neither
are from Visual Flight as Mally seems to have been squeezed out of the
dealings - the two contenders being Horizon Simulation and Just Flight.

I've just had a look at the Horizon page and the full UK scenery is on offer
at 70 pounds. It also contains terrain mapping - at a quoted 4x better
resolution than VFR Terrain but whether it has the coastline mods in Mally's
VFR Terrain it fails to say, Mally's product being far more than just a high
res mesh. The photo textures themselves are reported as 16x the resolution
of the FS2004 VFGM textures so I guess they are 1024 x 1024 rather than
Mally's 256 x 256.. This means you need 22Gb of HD space for the
installation!

Horizon have released a video at
http://www.horizonsimulation.com/shopuk/htmlarea/popups/VFRGenXJump-Videos.h
tm
(sorry if that wraps over two lines) and I must admit the detail is superb.
Even at very low level the scenery doesn't break up into pixels but at a
quoted 1.2/pixel it isn't likely to.

Just Flight do not seem to have said very much about their intended release
at all.

http://fsaviation.net