[jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM, SquawkBox setup problems

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 16:20:50 +0100

Looking at the file formats I would say that VATSIM handles MP aircraft
totally automatically. There is quite a rigid code structure to MP aircraft
identification - a seven letter string - and this must be sent out by users
as part of their data packets. This dictates the file that will be loaded
from your VIP folder.

VATSIM supports add on aircraft but the rules are very strict - you have to
create an SMS (Squawkbox Model Set) file and you also have to bundle your
rework into a self installer and fire it off to SB for approval. Reading the
threads I can see a lot of pilots are not doing this but just creating an
SMS file which they are distributing amongst their own VA members. This
isn't too bad but it would mean that other SB users wouldn't recognise you
aircraft code.

Actually SB gets quite clever here because if you use the correct SMS format
it makes SB look for nearest approximations. Say you are flying a JHB 737
which I have supplied to our JHB crews only. In SB other pilots won't have
the JHB version so the code makes SB look for the next best thing - probably
a default 737 - and display this instead. If you are flying a JHB Spitfire
it gets trickier because there isn't a default Spit in SB - but it would
first try to find a Spitfire, then anything else made by Supermarine and
finally, if it finds no near match, you get a paper dart popping up instead.

As you can see I did a lot of reading last night.. <g>