[jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM, SquawkBox setup problems

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:43:45 +0100

Peter,
I don't think that was the cause of the Saturday EGNS test problem. Using my GF kit I could neither hear Bones noe transmit to him. Frank, listening out couldn't hear me either. Tuning to one of the online Scottish positions produced the same result. In both cases I was getting the message that I had Text but not voice contact. Using the same method I tuned to Irish FIR and the radio check was 5/5. Returning to the two duff positions sdhowed their situation hadn't changed.
Baffling.
Gerry Winskill

Peter Dodds wrote:

Frank - last night I looked specifically at that issue, and the green light we are both refrring to comes on when a voice connection is established, as you say. This happens when you correctly tune the com radio to a manned ATC station which is operating on voice and text.

I did come across one problem last night which could have had me scratching my head for ages, but luckily I spotted it quickly.

I tuned my Goflight Com 1 radio to Liverpool Tower, but it was clear (no green light <g>) that I wasn't connected. I checked the frequency 126.35, which I know off by heart anyway, and then switched on the radio panel in FS, which, having Goflight radios, I almost never do. I immediately spotted that the annunciator panel at the top of the radio stack was set to Com 2.

Users of Goflight units beware!