[jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM, SquawkBox setup problems

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 18:59:54 +0100

I flew Ronaldsway to Belfast City, on Vatsim, this afternoon, VFR. The first thing I noticed was that my earlier references to the numbers of contollers were not strictly accurate. This afternoon there was a healthy number of pilots but only a couple of UK positions were manned. So perhaps the grass isn't greener all of the time.
The next was the odd VATSIM weather. Whilst taxiing for takeoff the reported wind changed by 180 degres several times. Eventually I settled for a downwind takeofff, since I couldn't waste more time taxiing back, yet again. I think there's an option to revert to FSMeteo, so I think I'll have a look at that.

By now my FS9 system is reassuringly stable. Whilst on this VATSIM flight I had two re boots. On the first occasion, whilst taxiing, FS9 just disappeared without warning. One minute there and the next a blank screen. The next time, it just locked up FS9. I'm wondering whether it might be a time coincidence of downloads from weather, VATSIM, Servinfo, all proving too much for it to handle. In moving to FSMeteo, set to refresh every 15 mins, the load should be reduced somewhat. The larger number of VATSIM participants definitely results in longer Servinf refresh periods, during which my machine either pases or slows down.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx