[jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM, SquawkBox setup problems

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 01:13 +0100 (BST)

> Mention of FSUIPC has me setting off to see whether I can
> reassign the default Scroll Lock and F12 transmission keys to
> the yoke switch that I currently use for Cowl Flaps.
The method is different, depending on whether you have SB3 on a
second networkd PC or on the ame PC as FS.

> Is there a visual means of seeing whether the transmit key is
> working, as is possible with ATOC?
In SB3's Transponder menu, there is an option to display (or
not) the "FS Transponder" This obtrusive back box (I normally
have it switched off) has Tx and Rx lights so that you can check
whether you are transmitting or not when you key the mike.
In addition, you get a little warbling sound when you have
correctly tuned to a frequency/voice channel and a loud
"raspberry" sound if you key the mike when not connected to a
valid frequency/voice channel.

This reminds me that SB3's other PITA, to go with the ugly paper
plane and the ugly transpoonder box and the "un-minimisable to
the systray" panel, is that the manual, which is quite good, can
only be viewed on line. A downloadable version is not available.
I actually went to the trouble of printing the html screens to
Adobe pdf, so i could read them off line, but they don't join up
into a single manual and the links don't work of course.

I suppose my view is that SB3 is so much better than SB2, so I
live with it, given that the ATC cover available is so much
better than FPI, but the minuses are significantly annoying.