[jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM, SquawkBox setup problems

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:02:52 +0100

Al

I'm not sure that I will try FSInn again. Router/firewall correctly configured but FSInn did absolutely nothing.

I was hoping for better luck with SB3. I have found a registry hack (from the SB tech support team) which provides the missing list of VATSIM servers ... but only until such time as VATSIM change their server IPs. Maybe I'll just stick with FPI ... or try IVAO ...

Mike L

Alastair wrote:
Mike

I tried FSInn this evening, and couldn't get it to work. (single machine), although it had been working previously.

Did a complete un-install, including removing all instances from the registry.

Then re-installed and it appears to be working perfectly, although have not made any voice contact, yet. (no apparent problems with FSUIPC)

FSInn will give you a list of Vatsim servers and you just pick the appropriate one.

Needless to say I assume that you have opened the appropriate ports on your router and firewall.

PS I am using AVC as the voice client.

Cheers

Alastair

Mike Lucas wrote:

I am having all sorts of problems trying to setup a connection to VATSIM using SB3 .... having already given up on FSInn. I thought I would install both and see which I preferred. Both appear to offer the facility to run on a second (networked PC) - which I want. I tried FSInn first as it offers TCAS.

Could not get any connection between PCs with FSInn, nor any connection to the Internet. Removed FSInn.

Fired up SB - to be told that FSUIPC wasn't there. Well, that was strange - it's been installed (and upgraded regularly) since Pete Dowson's very first version of it. But I checked and, sure enough, FSUIPC had disappeared since it was last used on Wednesday evening. Does FSInn wipe out FSUIPC? Reinstalled FSUIPC, established connection between SB and FS host PC.

Now to log into VATSIM. The SB manual shows a nice complete login dialog box - mine is completely blank. No dropdown list of servers - I have to add them manually. Where do I get the IP addresses for the VATSIM servers? - presumably from www.vatsim.net ... which I still cannot access from any of my 3 PCs!!! There's nothing odd about my browser setup, and Firefox, Opera or IE can pull up any other URL. All three have Java enabled, any number of other websites that use Java render OK for me. Other VATSIM (regional) websites are OK, just not the parent one. Can anyone offer any advice here, or a listing of the VATSIM servers that I need to set up SB?

Then - still looking at the login dialog box - I see I have to add aircraft manually, one by one. Isn't there some sort of plug-in such as FPI uses?

Hopefully there are simple answers to these problems. But at the moment I'm stuck with ATOC/FPI - which was a snip to set up by comparison and, despite its occasional failings, is a good program.

Frustrated.

Mike L