[jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:32:53 +0100

Whether welcome or not I have advocated a change to the current phonetic
alphabet for a few years now. It's been running since 1955 and is well due
an overhaul - and I don't just mean a change for the sake of fashion either.

Pity the poor bloke who has just bought G-NIUS (it used to fly into EGNS)
because every letter of the callsign (after G) is three syllables. Much
snappier is G-GMMM <g>. Most of the letters of the current alphabet are 2
syllables, only two are single (M and G) but six are three syllables (I, J,
N, R, S and U) and these could do with dropping down to two. In this respect
the WW2 alphabet was better..

It doesn't stop the problem that you sometimes get where a callsign can
still become a bit of a tongue twister. In our ATC exams they always threw
in a G-AOEX because there would always be someone who stumbled over it. <g>
Some got as far as Golf Alpha Okkar Exso before realising things weren't
going quite right..