[jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 07:30:32 +0100

I deny any abillity to pass comment.
Only the other day, two visitors asked SWMBO my age. Highlight of the week was that they had significantly underestimated. SWMBO was not amused when I speculated whether, if this trend continues, I might someday get away with saying "of course I married a woman older than myself".

I think I can remember most of the pre 1955 callsigns - Ernie or Gerry might
correct me if I've got some wrong..

Able
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
George
How
Item
Jig
King
Love
Mike
Nan
Oboe
Peter
Queen
Roger (?)
Sugar
Tare
Uncle
Victor
Willie
Xray
Yoke
Zebra

A little search brought up the RAF WW2 codes which I really didn't know at
all:

RAF 1942-43:

Apple Beer
Charlie Dog
Edward Freddy
George Harry
Inn Jug/Johnny
King Love
Mother Nuts
Orange Peter
Queen Roger/Robert
Sugar Tommy
Uncle Vic
William X-ray
Yoke/Yorker Zebra

bones

-----Original Message----- From: jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Peter Dodds Sent: 30 September 2005 23:05 To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Cc: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [jhb_airlines] Re: VATSIM

<Light bulb> When I worked for a water company, we had radio vehicles with callsigns Aqua How, Aqua Jig, Aqua Baker etc. NOW I know why!

My mother always used to refer to Ack-Emma and Pip-emma, which as
a.m. and p.m. must have come from the same radio school (she was
in the Civil Defence Corps for years).