[jhb_airlines] Re: Unsolicited Effect

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 09:40:24 +0000

I would hope that the anti-trust lobby would step in before things got this far. For the vast majority of PC users who are not aware of life beyond Windows, and for smaller software companies, this would represent a major hindrance on freedom of choice and freedom to trade. I imagine it would also attract even more intense interest from the hacking community, determined to beat the M$ monolith.

If you're not already completely hooked on Windows, now is the time to be looking at alternatives which give you the freedoms of choice to use YOUR PC in the way that YOU decide.

Mike L

Bones wrote:

Being a cynic I can see MS putting themselves in a very powerful position.
Vista is supposed to be in full charge of system security which - to most
people - means that it takes over the functions of your AV and firewall
software. I bet MS don't push out updates every six hours like my AV
software does..

There is nothing stopping MS from going a stage further either. In the
"interests of security" it would be extremely easy for them to declare that
all hardware and software must be certified to run on Vista. Uncertified
software would be deemed malicious and removed by MSRT - "malicious" being
interpreted by MS as "too mean to buy a certificate". No doubt a certificate
would cost money plus the expense of sending the hardware to MS for them to
poke around at and declare "safe". Software would require the submission of
all code so that MS can again declare it totally safe..

OK - far fetched maybe - but I wonder just how far down this road MS will
push things. I am sure they are not going to stop at simple AV/firewall
protection..