[jhb_airlines] Re: USB Formats

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 17:02:57 +0100

Hi Paul,
The socket into which I lugged the printer, for installation, did indeed provoke a message that I had a high speed device plugged into a low speed connection. I'll have to do a bit more digging, because I plugged into one of my hubs and there are so many wires I'm ignorant of where it ends up.
I the Mobo is an Abit IS7 and the manual shows one of each. I added a further two, via a PCI card, but it's so long ago I can't recall what they are.
I suppose the easiest rout is try each in turn and hope the message doesn't get triggered by one of them.

Gerry Winskill

Paul wrote:

When you plug a USB2 device into a USB1 slot you will usually get a warning
message.  Often the equipment still works but where data streaming is
relevant, as is the case with a printer, it might cause data loss.  I
suspect your USB ports are probably all USB2, the manual not specifically
identifying USB1 suggests this.  The confusion probably stems from them
referencing USB1 for compatability.  If this is not the case, I would
suspect any front panel mounted ports (ie. The ones most likely to be hot
swapped) are USB1.