[jhb_airlines] Re: USB Disk Drives

  • From: "Alex - Reheat.org" <Alex@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 10:29:30 +0000

For that drive then I'd agree not Al,

However USB2 is capable of reading at 480mb/s and firewire at 400mb/s

HOWEVER you can now get external HDD's with an ethernet conection, which is generally more than adequate depending on your adapter.

The best way to get a decent deal on an external HDD is to buy the interface seperatly.You can get USB/Firewire/Ethernet to IDE/SATA fairly cheaply these days (sub £20) and you just plug any hard drive into it and the other end into your pc. I bought an interface last year, and a 80gig hard drive for £30 total on ebay, at a time when an 80gb HDD would have set you back £50 - £60.

I use it to run my mesh scenery for FS9 off and it works fine. I would probably only use a Ethernet connection drive for FS itself but USB2/Firewire is more than adequate for scenery and add ons.

All the best,

Alex

Alastair wrote:
Frank

Looking at the Aria Web site:

USB drive, typically:-

Read 4.3 Mb/sec  : Write  900 Kb/sec.

Hard Drive (typical): Read/write : 300 Mb/sec

Based on the above figures, I would say NO.

Al

FrankTurley@xxxxxxx wrote:
Does anyone know whether these are quick enough for FS. Novatech are offering a huge drive for a cheap enough price, it has the capacity, but is the access time ok?

Frank T.