[jhb_airlines] USA FPI; Again

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 21:57:34 +0100

Leaving Philadelphia, for Miami, I had to cross, briefly, into NY Centre. As luck would have it the centre was manned; the only one in the whole country, and by a German at that.
Having contacted him with the usual patter, the response was "Identified". Despite him having no traffic and nothing listed, that was it. I gave him 10 minutes to announce I'd left his zone, before announcing I was leaving his frequency, for Unicom. The produced a similarly laconic "Copied".

I took a look at both competitor channels. Though both had masses of traffic, one had no USA controllers and the other had two; both at Miami. Odd types, these Americans.

Despite that the trip was worth while, for the sight of the FreeFlow Florida scenery, as I approached. It isn't photographic but definitely produces a great feel and masses of sticky ups. The weather was obligingly interesting, too. Heavy rain, in haze, with spectacular lightning in the distance.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx