[jhb_airlines] Re: Transponder

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:39:53 +0100

In real life you set the transponder to standby before changing codes
otherwise the unit will send the code that is on the dial when the SSR radar
pulse hits it. Many pilots forget (or are just lazy) and so you can briefly
have the callsign of another aircraft pop up on his target.

In FPI we see you changing squawks. If you are on the ground the standby
position removes your data tag from the screen but I'm not sure it does this
when airborne. OTOH I have never asked an aircraft in flight to squawk
standby so it may still zap the aircraft label. Must try next week.