[jhb_airlines] Re: Tonight's FPI

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 08:27:08 +0100

Weather permitting, it's something I'd look forward to repeating. I wrongly referred to it as the old GCA, wot our setup was devoted to, at St M. I fact it was the Search Controlled Landing that they used, when on 13, When on 31, the GCA runway, the Precision tube, complete with glidepath cursor, meant they didn't use advisory heights just "above" or "below" glidepath. That would be an easier procedure for an MP pilok.
I must admit to using a technique that wasn't available in 1960. I controlled descent with the A/P, setting alt at airfield level and varyinf rate of descent to suit the advisories. In the Q400 I use a % throttle gauge, since the Autothrottle is like a fiddlers elbow. Since I managed to nail airspeed on 120 the ROD didn't need much changing. I suppose the AP twist is offset by the fact that the realworld pilot had someone else to look out of the window, trying to spot the runway. It was probably having to do both that made the talkdown seem to pass in almost seconds.

Off to chop down the AG trees that grow across the UK2000 13 threshold.

It's sad that the server glitch spoilt the beginning of the session - I saw
quite a few flight plans for aircraft that must have subsequently given up
through not being bale to contact ATC. Full marks (not) to the Lufthansa
1120 pilot who flew from London to Guernsey squawking 7700 all the way and
lit up all our tubes.

Once Stefan rebooted the servers it got better and most (not all) aircraft
then started picking up ATC.

I hadn't intended dealing with Plymouth traffic but Alan and Andrew didn't
show up tonight (or couldn't log in) and this left the airport empty. With
real weather forcing the use of 13 I had no option but to give inbounds an
SRA - I doubt an NDB approach would have been very appealing. The only
omission from a proper SRA was that I only gave 1nm height checks instead of
0.5nm checks - but it became rapidly obvious I was too rusty to try the full
talkdown patter. The other problem was that the non ILS runways don't have
any runway centrelines on the screen. At least I remembered how to nail the
wind drift - I think it was only Mike who was slightly off the centreline a
tad.

Good fun though..