[jhb_airlines] Re: Tonights Event

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:00:06 +0100

I suspect there was an ATOCVoice 1.7 user around tonight as the usual
problems associated with this appeared. Only one aircraft turned green on my
screen so I'm guessing most had to tune frequencies manually. It's a pity
the server can't recognise the ATOC Version and flag a note to the user to
upgrade.

It was nice to see a good flow of traffic despite just two popping up to
Belfast. An added attraction was Kevin plugging in at Birmingham to give
even more variety of choice for the pilots.

Next week is definitely short haul with Blackpool, Belfast City and
Ronaldsway as the published destinations and possibly more if we have
surplus controllers (Dublin or Liverpool?). Despite the short flights this
is ideal turboprop country as you will be flying routes regularly used by
ATP, Jetstream, ATR42 and Dash 8 aircraft (sometimes a BAe146). As a general
guideline I can tell you that the normal levels used for turboprops are:

EGAC - EGNS  FL90
EGAC - EIDW  FL80
EGAC - EGNH  FL120/125
EGAC - EGGP  FL130/150

EGNS - EGNH  FL95 (Advisory Route W2D so Quadrantal Levels)
EGNS - EGGP  FL110
EGNS - EIDW  FL80
EGNS - EGAC  FL80

EGNH - EGNS  FL85
EGNH - EGAC  FL115/110
EGNH - EIDW  FL115/110
EGNH - EGGP  3000ft

EGGP - EGNS  FL100
EGGP - EIDW  FL120
EGGP - EGAC  FL140
EGGP - EGNH  3000ft

EIDW - EGAC  FL70
EIDW - EGNS  FL90
EIDW - EGGP  FL130
EIDW - EGNH  FL130/115

Sector lengths are short - typically 20 min for Belfast - Ronaldsway -
Blackpool so workload is high. You don't have any time sitting in the cruise
to twiddle your thumbs as the departure procedure for one airport runs
straight into the arrival procedure for the next. It's normal for real world
pilots to do six such sectors daily (it used to be eight until the hours
limitations came in).

Only Dublin and Liverpool have SID/STAR procedures so you can expect to be
cleared direct on track for departures from EGAC, EGNS and EGNH (unless
conflicting traffic requires ATC to give vectors). Arrivals to these three
airports can simply expect radar vectoring to the ILS.

These routes are also ideal for VFR aircraft too but the airway bases limit
flights to around 4000ft - except for Blackpool to Ronaldsway (no controlled
airspace to restrict climb). This route is an oddity in the UK as you can
have a VFR aircraft flying at any height he wants and talking to nobody and
an IFR flight working ATC and being given a full ATC service flying exactly
the same route. ATC often have to warn IFR aircraft about unknown traffic -
whether it is a Blackpool based Cherokee or a Tornado out of Warton.
Exciting airspace. Even on the ILS at Blackpool you have to keep your eyes
scanning outside because there isn't any controlled airspace around the
airport - it is quite legitimate for a non radio Tiger Moth to fly across
the runway centreline as close as 2.5nm from the airport without talking to
anyone. All Blackpool has is an ATZ of 2.5nm radius up to 2000ft.

It has all the makings of a very good session.