[jhb_airlines] Today's Flight

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 18:24:01 +0000

This afternoon I set out to do a delayed "ideas" flight, from Kirkbride to Heidelberg. Bad start in that neither IVAO nor Servinfo recognise Kirkbride. That was handled by putting nearby Carlisle in as Departure but actually leaving from Kirkbride.

On the way I had ATC from Amsterdam, then from Langen Radar. I knew Heidelberg had no instrument landing equipment but was banking on a visual approach, until Langen gave me the local weather; mist. Fortunately Mamheim City was close, with an ILS indicated for the active runway. In fact it turned out it was ILS localiser with separate DME and no glideslope. That was better than a kick up the bracket and I thing we both enjoyed the diversion; pardon the pun.

Bones; my first shot at the Pirep saw me transpose EGNC to EGCN. I corrected it but I see they're both there! Can you please ignore the one that doesn't start at Carlisle?

With the correct date set, for World Weather, this part of Europe looks quite good, since the snow disguises the pseudo ground textures, leaving houses, forests and airfields that are quite credible. The USA scene is similarly believable. That will keep me occupied until the UK VFR weather returns!