[jhb_airlines] Time problems - posts from the future?

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:00:44 +0100

We've recently had some posts from Paul, apparently in a different time zone. But I've just noticed that I too may inadvertently have been contributing to this Dr Who syndrome. Running Linux, my PC seems to think that I'm in US Central Time zone, although the task-bar clock shows the correct (UK) time - behind the scenes, my mail client is taking the hardware clock time and adding 6 or 7 hours to it when it time-stamps messages.

I have now figured out what has caused this problem, and I think (hope) that I've fixed it. Just the other day I upgraded the Linux kernel to one that supports SMP/dual core. One of the consequences of this has almost certainly screwed up the 'old' ntp time synchronisation daemon. I have now reinstalled ntp and told my recalcitrant PC that, in Market Harborough, we are currently BST. After a reboot it seems to have accepted this fact. So, if anyone has been receiving e-mails from me from tomorrow, apologies - I am back in the here-and-now. The other side of the coin is that I should no longer be receiving messages from the rest of you which appear to have got lost for 6 or 7 hours.

Are you confused yet? - I am ...

Mike L