[jhb_airlines] Re: Thinkpad

  • From: Alex Barrett <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:51:48 +0100

I spent 3 years in charge of software deployment for a company running nothing but Bloody Novell.

Now, if I remember correctly, unc32.exe is a dos command application, is it possible to put in your Windows XP disk, boot into recovery mode (hit R when it asks what you want to do) then run unc32.exe from within the recovery console?

OR the other way round which I've just recalled, is boot into recovery mode with the XP disk, and find NWGina.dll ("C:\WINDOWS\system32" - is the default)

You want to change this file for MSGina.dll either by putting your own one on disk and swapping it (be sure your XP is same version as the one installed, I.E SP2 for SP2) or by deleting NWGina.dll and copying the MSGina.dll from that same machine (far safer)

Basically the Gina.dll's are called on bootup and determine if you will be prompted to login, if no login screen is called through the Gina.dll's then you'll be taken straight into the root account.

If you cant find, or copy the MSGina.dll (our standard company practice used to be to rename MSGina.dll to GinaOrig.BAK) then you can just try deleting the NWGina.dll and it may just boot directly into windows, it depends on the account permissions.

Anyway, once that file is gone it wont ask you the Novell details anymore. If you need any further help, just ask.

Alex

bones wrote:
Good try but they trapped that too. You boot into Safe Mode and the Novell
login still comes up before you can get to the DOS prompt.

Hmmm. I wonder if I can boot from an old DOS 5.1 floppy? Trouble is I
probably can't run unc32.exe then because it will probably tell me it is a
different OS..