[jhb_airlines] The FSX situation

  • From: "Paul Reynolds" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 17:19:57 -0000

Having read the Phil Taylor article, he's basically saying that you need a
ninja system now and then the best from a DX10 implimented solution in the
future.

What he's not saying but which is crucial is that MS have not worked with
either the Processor designers or the Graphics Cards developers to ensure
mutual gain.  In other words they are second guessing each other.  It's the
same old story, MS feel that they should dictate the standards because it's
their platform they're to run on.  All well and good if you're responsive
enough to deliver but when it takes you ages to produce a hole ridden
product you then spend years patching up it's a different story.  I think
Phils been put up as the scapegoat for MS, being relatively new to the
company means he can take the brickbats and brush them off as he was not
responsible for the original development. Yet until MS take their corporate
head out from the sand and work with key developers in the genre, we'll be
back to square one with every release. Though with fewer developers willing
to revisit the product and revamp work for the umpteenth time.  If there are
no major developments in the offing then I'm not so sure how we're supposed
to see things with FSX from here on in.  Are they basically saying ramp up
your machine specs and we'll sit back and wait for third party developers to
optimise the product for us, tweaking it if we can?  That's what I read into
the sub text!

I've just about got FS2004 running well enough now to make it a thoroughly
enjoyable experience.  My few sessions with FSX, while enjoyable, left me
feeling that I should be getting a better experience that I do with FS2004
and I'm not.  And that is the crux of the matter.  Until the gain from FSX
outweighs the use of FS2004 I'll stay put.

Since to realise that gain means optimising machine specs and awaiting
possible future developments it's something I'll not realise for some time
so Status Quo for me.