[jhb_airlines] Re: Terrain following radar

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:03:50 -0000

This is odd. I tried a Google search to see if I could trace the source
(which I'd forgotten) and Google came up with the original message I =
posted
to you all! Looks like the Freelists postings are open to the search
engines..

Anyway, the original post was as follows:

"Some of you will possibly remember John Hnidec from a few years back =
when
he developed FlightMax - about the most accurate GPS emulation for FS =
until
it became overtaken by the default installation.

John is now about to release a new product on the market and I'd guess =
from
the hints being pushed out that it will be a TAWS (Terrain Awareness and
Warning System). This is one step up from GPWS in that it provides a =
full 3D
view of the terrain ahead as well as the aural warnings.

If this is the intended product it will be the first time someone has =
worked
out how to read terrain modelling ahead of the aircraft. So far the only
data FS gives out is height above the ground directly below the aircraft =
so
I'm guessing they have written their own code to read data directly from =
the
terrain BGL's..

The reason why the product has not be announced properly is that they =
are
giving 10 copies away to those who guess the answer correctly. If you =
trust
my guess then send an email to mystery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - only four correct
answers have been received so far.."

It's moved on a bit since then but check http://fswidgets.com/ for the