[jhb_airlines] Re: Tenacious FSNav Database

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:23:45 +0100

Right. I'm now exactly where I was aiming to be. I've set up FSNav DataBase, with the NDB equipped AFCADs folder removed from the FS9 folder. The folder containing stripped down AFCADs was in place and enabled. I now get an FSNav display, in which each strip is displayed, but with just name and ICAO code. Once the DataBase was compiled, a rare occasion, the folder containing NDB AFCADs was put back into FS9 and enabled. The NDBs now all work but don't appear in FSNav. Great.

Although it's no longer a problem, I can't see why FSNav displayed all the wrong frequencies, when I allowed it to pick up the NDBs. All other third party NDNB grequency displays were normal. Perhaps it's a function of the frequencies I'm using; all in the high 800s?

Anyway, another job out of the way. I've tucked your ideas on use of xml away, for future use. Many thanks.
Thinks, Perhaps it would be sensible to show my face in the other room.....

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx

Gerry Winskill wrote:

I'd spotted three duplicated field NDBs and removed them, before starting the mods. They were thrown up as I was trying to remove all NDB displays.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx

Bones wrote:

Sorry to add a third email on this topic in almost the same number of
minutes but I think I see a problem with your current files.

Having had a look through the farm strip folder I picked out two files -
RHOS_Y_GILWEN_NDB.BGL and AF2_X7RG.BGL. I'd presumed that one was for the
airfield and one just contained NDB data. However I see that both files are
almost exact duplicates of each other as both have airfield as well as NDB
info in them.

With the duplication it means that only one of these files will be read by
FS - and I'm not sure what the pecking order would be. It suggests you have
done a lot of unnecessary work here and that half your BGL's could possibly
be deleted.

Just for the record here is the actual data in both these files. Note that
they are absolutely identical in content but that values vary between the
two.

The problem is that you cannot create two separate airfield AFCAD's as one
will overwrite the other. Maybe if you stripped out the duplication the data
in FSNav would behave a bit better.. I was goiung to try this here but I
don't know which of the two files is the more accurate..

RHOS-Y-GILWEN_NDB.BGL decode

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<FSData version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<Airport ident="X7RG"
 region=""
 country="UK FARMSTRIPS"
 state=""
 city="RHOS-Y-GILWEN"
 name="RHOS-Y-GILWEN"
 lat="N52 2.27001"
 lon="W004 37.24002"
 alt="120.40M"
 magvar="0.00">

 <DeleteAirport
   deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
   deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
   deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
   deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
   deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
   deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
   deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"

 </DeleteAirport>

</Airport>

<Ndb
 lat="N52 2.27110"
 lon="W004 37.22838"
 alt="120.3960M"
 type="MH"
 frequency="881.700"
 range="37.5N"
 magvar="0.00"
 region=""
 ident="FRYG"
 name="RHOS-Y-GILWEN"/>

</FSData>

and here's the AF2_X7RG.BGL decode:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!--  disassembled by NewBglAnalyze Sat Sep 10 19:32:54 2005 -->

<FSData version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<Airport ident="X7RG"
 region=""
 country="UK FARMSTRIPS"
 state=""
 city="RHOS-Y-GILWEN"
 name="RHOS-Y-GILWEN"
 lat="N52 2.25001"
 lon="W004 37.16001"
 alt="122.83M"
 magvar="0.00">

 <DeleteAirport
   deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
   deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
   deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
   deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
   deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
   deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
   deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"

 </DeleteAirport>

</Airport>

<Ndb
 lat="N52 2.28310"
 lon="W004 37.19415"
 alt="122.8340M"
 type="MH"
 frequency="881.700"
 range="37.5N"
 magvar="0.00"
 region=""
 ident="FRYG"
 name="RHOS-Y-GILWEN"/>

</FSData>

bones

-----Original Message----- From: jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jhb_airlines-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Gerry Winskill Sent: 10 September 2005 15:15 To: JHB AIRLINES Subject: [jhb_airlines] Tenacious FSNav Database

One of the undesireable effects of my by now 62 Farm Strips is the way
the FSNav display is becoming cluttered by their NDB data. It wouldn't
be so bad if the displayed frequencies were not, all, inaccurate. Anyway, I
thought I had a neat solution. I moved all their AFCAD files,
which contain only the NDBs, into a separate scenery, called. FARM NDBs,
then Added that to FS9's Scenery Library and activated it. Now none of
the three Farm Strip sceneries contain any AFCAD files. Next I re ran
FSNav DataBase, unticking the new NDB scenery, before running. Surprise,
surprise, next time FS9 and FSNav were run, all of the NDBs were still
displayed. To cut a very long story short, I have not only to Delete the
AFCAD containing scenery from the Library but to remove it from the FS9
folder, full stop, until FSNav DataBase has been run. Even then I got a
couple still appearing. They were traced to singleton Beta versions,
long since removed from the FS9 Library. These, if I don't wish to
delete them, have to be removed to a new folder, FS2004SCENES, which I
keep, on the same drive, outside the FS9 folder.
Now that I've managed to remove all traces of the NDBs, I'm left with
no indication of the presence of any of the strips. In FS2002, FSNav
must have reacted to the presence of a .bgl, in a Scenery folder, since
I was using Airport and avoided tangling with AFCAD. Not so FS9, which
seems to identify a scenery only if it has an AFCAD.
To cut short yet another long story, the answer appears to be to create
an empty AFCAD, for each Farm Strip, containg name and ICAO code, but
nothing else, then place that in another new Scenery folder; in my case
called FARMS EMPTY, then run FSNav DataBase. It's worked with the first
one, so now I just have to do one for each of the other 61 strips! I don't
think I'll tell anyone else...... Not how I'd planned to spend
Saturday.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx