[jhb_airlines] Re: Tenacious FSNav Database

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 20:01:39 +0100

Timing bad. Just this minute finished it!

Next batch of strips will be easier. I'll save one AFCAD, with just details, in one folder, then add NDB and save again, to different folder.

Has the new toy arrived?

Gerry Winskill

gwinsk@xxxxxxx

Bones wrote:

There must be an easier way to do this Gerry.

If you keep the existing AFCAD's but strip the NDB's out so that you end up
with just basic airport information that should save you having to write
them all out again. For the NDB's you could put them all into a single SCASM
file - or probably in an XML file these days.

Having just decompiled one of your existing farm NDB files the format looks
pretty simple :-

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<FSData version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<Airport ident="SNKE"
 region=""
 country="UK FARMSTRIPS"
 state=""
 city="SNAKE FARM"
 name="SNAKE FARM"
 lat="N54 42.29000"
 lon="W001 27.97002"
 alt="141.73M"
 magvar="0.00">

 <DeleteAirport
   deleteAllApronLights="TRUE"
   deleteAllAprons="TRUE"
   deleteAllFrequencies="TRUE"
   deleteAllHelipads="TRUE"
   deleteAllRunways="TRUE"
   deleteAllStarts="TRUE"
   deleteAllTaxiways="TRUE"

 </DeleteAirport>

</Airport>

<Ndb
 lat="N54 42.28421"
 lon="W001 27.96656"
 alt="141.7320M"
 type="MH"
 frequency="882.400"
 range="37.5N"
 magvar="0.00"
 region=""
 ident="FSNF"
 name=""/>

</FSData>

For an NDB only file you can strip out the airport section and just put in a
lot of NDB blocks like so :-

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<FSData version="9.0"
xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

<Ndb
 lat="N54 42.28421"
 lon="W001 27.96656"
 alt="141.7320M"
 type="MH"
 frequency="882.400"
 range="37.5N"
 magvar="0.00"
 region=""
 ident="FSNF"
 name=""/>

<Ndb
 lat="N54 35.67891"
 lon="W003 45.12345"
 alt="181.45450M"
 type="MH"
 frequency="882.400"
 range="37.5N"
 magvar="0.00"
 region="EG"
 ident="SF"
 name=""/>

</FSData>

I'm not sure what the "type" line is saying here as I haven't got round to
checking the SDK. For VOR's this is either HIGH or LOW but with NDB's I only
know the one saying type="COMPASS_POINT"

I'd suggest you didn't use four letter idents for NDB's. You don't need them
and they clutter up the screen. Try two letter idents beginning with X or Z
as these tend not to be used in the UK.