[jhb_airlines] Re: Tenacious FSNav Database

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 19:28:01 +0100

Gerry,

Another possible alternative is to create an XML Waypoint for your airfields
and do away with the AFCAD - if all you need in the AFCAD is to use it to
mark the location of the field in FSNAV.

For an NDB in XML use

<Ndb
        lat="41.35184943"
        lon="-89.15309158"
        alt="199.33918762"
        type="COMPASS_POINT"
        frequency="890.0"
        range="12345"
        magvar="0.0"
        region="K6"
        ident="NDB"
        name="Some NDB">
</Ndb>

The listed fields are described in the SDK.

lat     Required.       In degrees
lon     Required.       In degrees
alt     Required.       In Meters
type    Required.       COMPASS_POINT, H, HH, MH
frequency       Required.       In Khz
range   Range In Meters. Default is computed to 27 Nmiles
magvar  Required. Magnetic variation to TRUE north -360 to 360 in degrees.
    Default = 0.0.  East magvar is negative, West magvar is positive.
region  Required. Region Code   2 character region code
ident   Required.       String (5 characters max)
name    Name.   48 chars max

Note that region code for the UK is (I suspect) EG.

For a Waypoint the code is simpler:

<Waypoint
        lat="41.35184943"
        lon="-89.15309158"
        waypointType="IAF"
        magvar="0.0"
        waypointRegion="K6"
        waypointIdent="WLS">
        <!-- Route information here -->
</Waypoint>

lat     Required.       In degrees
lon     Required.       In degrees
waypointType    Required.       NAMED, UNNAMED, VOR, NDB, OFF_ROUTE, IAF,
FAF
magvar  Required. Magnetic variation to TRUE north      -360 to 360 in
degrees.
waypointRegion  Required. Region Code.  2 character region code
waypointIdent   Required.       String (5 characters max)

For waypoint ident you could use the four letter code for the airfield. The
only thing wrong with this idea is that the airfield would only show as a
triangle in FSNav rather than with the airport symbol..

You could ignore the above and create your airfields in XML from scratch.
Again this is your current entry in XML for Snake Farm:

<Airport ident="SNKE"
  region=""
  country="UK FARMSTRIPS"
  state=""