[jhb_airlines] Tenacious FSNav Database

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 15:14:59 +0100

One of the undesireable effects of my by now 62 Farm Strips is the way the FSNav display is becoming cluttered by their NDB data. It wouldn't be so bad if the displayed frequencies were not, all, inaccurate.
Anyway, I thought I had a neat solution. I moved all their AFCAD files, which contain only the NDBs, into a separate scenery, called. FARM NDBs, then Added that to FS9's Scenery Library and activated it. Now none of the three Farm Strip sceneries contain any AFCAD files. Next I re ran FSNav DataBase, unticking the new NDB scenery, before running. Surprise, surprise, next time FS9 and FSNav were run, all of the NDBs were still displayed. To cut a very long story short, I have not only to Delete the AFCAD containing scenery from the Library but to remove it from the FS9 folder, full stop, until FSNav DataBase has been run. Even then I got a couple still appearing. They were traced to singleton Beta versions, long since removed from the FS9 Library. These, if I don't wish to delete them, have to be removed to a new folder, FS2004SCENES, which I keep, on the same drive, outside the FS9 folder.
Now that I've managed to remove all traces of the NDBs, I'm left with no indication of the presence of any of the strips. In FS2002, FSNav must have reacted to the presence of a .bgl, in a Scenery folder, since I was using Airport and avoided tangling with AFCAD. Not so FS9, which seems to identify a scenery only if it has an AFCAD.
To cut short yet another long story, the answer appears to be to create an empty AFCAD, for each Farm Strip, containg name and ICAO code, but nothing else, then place that in another new Scenery folder; in my case called FARMS EMPTY, then run FSNav DataBase. It's worked with the first one, so now I just have to do one for each of the other 61 strips!
I don't think I'll tell anyone else...... Not how I'd planned to spend Saturday.

Gerry Winskill
gwinsk@xxxxxxx