[jhb_airlines] Re: Team's opinion?

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 20:20:18 -0000

Hang on - let's drag the chart up..

Yes to your question. If Thames Radar is out of service then the only
procedural approach is the route that obliges you to intercept the 243 =
ALKIN
"radial". To find out what happens before ALKIN the clue is in the text
section which says "The standard routes for inbound aircraft are =
detailed in
the STAR's shown at AD 2-EGLC-7-1/3". In other words if radar is out =
then
the only approaches into Biggin are via the London City STAR's.

A clue on this restricted procedure can be found in the MAP for the ILS
approach. Aircraft have to stay within 4.2nm DME of the airfield during =
the
go-around and I'd say this is to stop them infringing the final approach
procedures for other nearby airfields. You can see how close the ILS for =
21
goes to the approach for London City itself - it really is tight =
airspace
down there..

What they don't describe is the procedure for off airways traffic that
arrive at EGKB in bad weather and then request the ILS. Generally though =
it
would be a matter of handing them off to Thames Radar for vectoring. =
True
procedural flying in the UK is very rare in high capacity environments..