[jhb_airlines] Team's opinion?

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:21 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

If anyone has a chance to look at the Biggin Hill approach plate
for the ILS to runway 21, I have the following query.

Assume that you are going to fly the procedure, and not receive
vectors.
Is approaching the initial approach fix (ALKIN) on a heading of
243 degrees the only permitted approach, or could you, say, route
overhead BIG VOR at "some altitude above the ATZ" and make a
descending turn inbound at about 8 or 9 DME to arrive at the IAF
on heading 243 and at altitude 1800ft on the QNH.  Put another
way I suppose, is the IAF the official start of the procedure, or
does it start when on heading 243 en route to the IAF?