[jhb_airlines] Re: Start Up Solution Needed

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:33:11 +0100

The original Seneca was a rush job after the floods at Lock Haven destroyed
the Comanche and Twin Comanche production lines. It was originally going to
be called the Twin Cherokee - alluding to it being a nice, easy to fly, twin
version of the PA32. The PA24 Comanche was a hotter ship with its laminar
flow wing and the twin PA30 also required careful handling - especially on
landing. Piper thought the Twin Cherokee would offer a less twitchy light
twin to their stable.

Anyway, they got a PA32 Cherokee fuselage and stuck two engines on it - and
renamed it the Seneca. The original versions were horribly underpowered and
had gutless handling and performance. Back at approach speeds the ailerons
were almost completely ineffective. Eventually they upgraded the engines to
200hp and that was a bit better but the turbocharged versions are much
better. Having said that they are still nothing exciting - just a nice,
safe, light twin ideal for low hour pilots to convert to.

http://woodair.net