[jhb_airlines] Re: Standard Procedure

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:44:10 +0100

In many ways they are surprisingly conservative. Their oil industry was way behind the European norm, a fact they were reluctant to accept, until they dipped a toe in the water.
Their cars were, when I used to go over on business, absolute rubbish. It only took the first clasp of a tinny door handle to bring that home. Suspensions were soft and un damped and engines needed to be about three times the capacity, to reach European outputs. My then Volvo 740 was a much more solid job than the Cadilacs and Lincolns, in which I was driven around.

True but I would have thought that the US, being so fiercely competitive,
would have seen someone willing to revolutionise GA powerplants with an
innovative design. After all these years in the dark ages it is indeed going
to be a revolution - and long overdue.

The automotive industry are almost always staggered by such backward
technology. We flew a bunch of Lotus engineers a few years back and they
couldn't believe the technology was so old. They'd assumed that all aircraft
engines were up at cutting edge development and it was almost painful to
reveal the truth. I could almost see the pity in their eyes as they left -
or was it relief..