[jhb_airlines] Re: Standard Pocedure

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 15:46 +0100 (BST)

Very interesting, John (as always).  I knew a bit about flying
twins in the circuit, because I remember a friend of mine doing a
twin rating. He never mentioned not turning towrds the dead
engine, nor flying with 5 degrees of bank - he was flying a
Baron which has contra-rotating props, so no critical engine.
Would that have been a factor why he never mentioned it? (apart
from simply being too knackered for his brain to function
properly after his lessons).

He had to fly whole circuits with no rudder trim - 2 or 3 one
after the other.  He almost limped into the club house
afterwards, white as a sheet. He also said there was a "pilot
limited" assymetric speed, personal to each pilot.  I can't
remember whether this was an approach speed, climb speed or
cruise speed, but it was all to do with how much push he could
maintain with his leg on the rudders. This critical speed was the
speed at which the rudder forces were less than or equal to the
amount of push he could maintain with his leg!

I don't think he ever flew twins seriously!

Presumably this type of assymetric flying isn't possible with
servo actuated controls in the big tin??