[jhb_airlines] Re: Standard Pocedure

  • From: pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Peter Dodds)
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 00:02 +0100 (BST)

It seems to be in common use in flying schools of my experience
to denote a twin on one engine.  It is just me that didn't
immediately make the correct word association.

I was at Halfpenny Green recently when a twin came in on one
engine.  I was about to leave and was told I couldn't because the
airfield was temporarily closed for an emergency.  It was a bit
of a drama, and everyone turned out of buildings to watch and I
guess will the pilot into a safe arrival. Strangely, he elected
to fly an overhead join, although he could have made a left base
join.  His turn on to final was very wide, possibly because it
was the right engine which was stopped, but he landed safely.

Interestingly the local fire brigade arrived to augment the
fearsome looking 8-wheel foam-thrower resident on the field.