[jhb_airlines] Re: Standard Pocedure

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:00:38 +0100

The old CSE examiners gave their pilots quite a hard time. The final check
would be to fly over to here from Carlisle, enter the hold at the RWY NDB
and fly three holds. During the second one, just as the pilot was just about
nailing the drift, the examiner would fail an engine. The student had to
sort this out and still remain in the hold until cleared for the NDB
approach. On completion of this the aircraft would go around (still on one
engine) and fly the MAP back to the hold for a second approach. If the first
one had been good he may be rewarded with an ILS approach but most of the
time it was back for a second NDB procedure. <vbg> They would then land,
swap pilots over and do the thing all over again. Some days we could have
four or five of the PA30's swarming around.

I would guess that basic NDB approaches flown on timings are fairly rare
now. Quite a few airfields are DME equipped so an NDB/DME is the option (as
at Carlisle). I'd have to look through all the NDB letdown plates to see if
a true NDB only approach still exists. Forget that - found one on the first
attempt at Alderney..