[jhb_airlines] Re: Standard Pocedure

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:00:38 +0100

Good questions Alastair - and they are the reason I mostly plug in at non
STAR airfields or centres in FPI.

If you are to plug in as an APP controller at any STAR/SID airfield then
you've got a lot of homework to do beforehand. You really do have to know
the procedures quite well and that means pouring over them at least the
night before the session so that you know all the nuances of the plates.

Jersey is a good example. As you rightly say the normal inbound route from
SKERY is via CHUBB and OYSTA that takes you south of the airfield the long
way round. This is obviously (to me) a route designed to keep inbounds away
from the outbound aircraft so that you don't have to restrict departures in
respect of the inbound aircraft. If they have no departures when you call
them I'd guess they would clear you direct to JSY VOR for a quick right base
onto 26.

I can't comment further because I don't know what Anthony actually said to
Gerry. If he was cleared to the JSY VOR on first contact and then
subsequently told to fly the "standard procedure" then that is OK. Gerry
should have then turned to the VOR and gone right into the IAP (nice too as
it would have chopped a lot of track distance off the flight).

If on initial contact to Jersey Gerry was NOT given any redirection then ATC
would have expected him to fly the standard STAR the long way round to the
VOR. Only then would he have started the IAP. This gets a little interesting
so bear with me..

You know that the STAR ends up with a left turn to JSY VOR from PERCH. You
also know that the IAP begins at JSY with the aircraft going outbound on Hdg
111 - so how does the aircraft get to leave the VOR heading east when he has
just approached it on a westerly heading?

This bit is always tricky because it is rarely published. The Initial
Approach I mentioned in the first email is just that - the point at which
ATC take you from the airspace boundary to the holding fix. The Final
Approach procedure is that as published in the IAP - and the two procedures
may not coincide. In this case they do in a geographical sense but there is
no explanation how the pilot reverses his course to leave the VOR on a track
of 111.

The missing bit is called the Intermediate Approach Procedure and this is
the point at which the pilot leaves the holding pattern to begin the IAP
procedure. To be fair I must admit that there used to be a lot of gaps like
this but the CAA are finally revising IAP's so that they give more continual
guidance. A good example is Heathrow where the SID finishes at BNN VOR but
the original IAP was just a straight line from the runway out to about 12nm
whereas it now shows the procedure all the way back to BNN..

Back to Jersey and you have just finished the STAR by the left turn from
PERCH onto the VOR. You are then cleared for the ILS/DME approach for 26
which requires you to proceed outbound from the VOR on 111. How do you do
it? This is actually up to the pilot and what I would do may not be the same
as anyone else. I would like to be established on the 111 radial (or close
to it) even before I left the navaid so what I would do is this:

1. Enter the VOR on a heading of 270 (roughly) at the end of the STAR.
2. Continue past the VOR on the same heading or maybe nudge slightly left
onto 260.
3. At 3 to 4nm DME retune the OBS to 111 and start a right turn all the way
round to pick up that radial.
4. Establish on 111, run over the VOR and carry on outbound for the letdown
procedure.

Effectively what I have just done is a teardrop to the right to allow me to
start the IAP from a nice position - no juggling with headings overhead the
VOR.

Actually, what I would do in real life is a bit of a cheek but on reaching
PERCH I would ask ATC if I could go straight into the outbound procedure for
the IAP. If they agreed I would leave PERCH on a Hdg of 089 dropping to
2000ft and at 8nm DME turn left to intercept the ILS. <g>

If a procedural approach works well then ATC don't really need to know too
much about actual aircraft position. This may sound odd but procedural works
by vertical separation rather than horizontal. In this case ATC would need
to know when Gerry was overhead the VOR, when he was outbound from the VOR
on the IAP and when he was established on the ILS.

I bet this is going to lead to deeper questions.. <vbg>