[jhb_airlines] Re: Standard Pocedure

  • From: Alastair <algy.mcintyre@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:30:56 +0100

Hi Jerry

See:-

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/32JJ0703.PDF

I thought I was doing well until I got the 'go around' from the tower controller.

5 miles short final, and another aircraft on the runway, I don't think that the controller was aware that there was an aircraft on short finals, until I called him. He seemed to be concentrating on the departing aircraft more than anything else.
After that, absolutely no comms. from the ground controller.

Apart from that it went quite well, apart from having to do a re-boot on the Gatwick leg.

Cheers

Alastair

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Probably a daft question, with an obvious answer, but what's "Standard Procedure"?

In context, I was not, apparently, visible on the controller's screen, as I approached Jersey, last night. Since he couldn't see me and had just one other a/c, Alastair, who was a respectable distance ahead, he instructed me to follow standard procedure and report when established on the localiser.
A quick look through all the Jersey plates to hand didn't show up anything called Standard Procedure, for runway 27. The nearest I could see was the MAP, which involve a JSY join, followed by left hand circuit to join the ILS. I asked whether I was right if I used this route but just got a repeat of the initial request to follow standard procedure.
At that point I must admit to capitalising on the fact that the controller's misfortune was greater than my own. I was visual with Alastair, whilst the controller couldn't see me. I'd heard Alastair being given headings for a right hand circuit, so I just followed the same pattern. The controller knew not where I was until I reported "localiser established". BUT....this could crop up again. I thought I had all the required plates to hand but I must have been wrong.
Dear Agony Aunt; what should I have done; apart from keeping my legs crossed!