[jhb_airlines] Standard Pocedure

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:30:54 +0100

Probably a daft question, with an obvious answer, but what's "Standard Procedure"?

In context, I was not, apparently, visible on the controller's screen, as I approached Jersey, last night. Since he couldn't see me and had just one other a/c, Alastair, who was a respectable distance ahead, he instructed me to follow standard procedure and report when established on the localiser.
A quick look through all the Jersey plates to hand didn't show up anything called Standard Procedure, for runway 27. The nearest I could see was the MAP, which involve a JSY join, followed by left hand circuit to join the ILS. I asked whether I was right if I used this route but just got a repeat of the initial request to follow standard procedure.
At that point I must admit to capitalising on the fact that the controller's misfortune was greater than my own. I was visual with Alastair, whilst the controller couldn't see me. I'd heard Alastair being given headings for a right hand circuit, so I just followed the same pattern. The controller knew not where I was until I reported "localiser established". BUT....this could crop up again. I thought I had all the required plates to hand but I must have been wrong.
Dear Agony Aunt; what should I have done; apart from keeping my legs crossed!