[jhb_airlines] SBS

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "JHB Email List" <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:51:19 -0000

You may recall the SBS ADSB unit I was using and some of the screenshots of
the traffic around the IoM. A typical screenshot is
http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPix/SBS1.jpg

One of the aims of the software was to take the data from each user and feed
it out to other users - effectively extending data outside that of your
aerial's performance. I'm lucky because I get aircraft up to 200nm away but
users in more restricted surroundings can be limited to about 40nm. However,
by uploading your data to the SBS server it can be distributed top other
users globally and so you should see a much greater amount of universal
traffic.

This Map Mode function is now on test and I started to use it a few moments
ago. It is staggering.. To give you an idea here are just two screenshots
taken a few seconds ago. The really interesting part is that there are just
three users plugged in, two down south and myself, but you can see just how
much data three users can pick up. Note the aircraft at 1500ft on the ILS to
27L at Heathrow (which is probably still taxying in as you read this)..

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPix/SBS_ext.gif shows the full
coverage with the 3 SBS units connected.

http://www.homepages.mcb.net/bones/WebPix/SBS_ext1.gif shows a zoom in on
the Heathrow area.

It's really quite staggering.. <vbg>

http://fsaviation.net