[jhb_airlines] Rudder Problem

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: JHB AIRLINES <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:16:31 +0100

I've got a feeling the problem emerged with the advent of Windows XP; I do know it was Rory what came up with the fix.
I'm talking about the 'orrible habit of the digital USB rudder pedals to cease to function, if left untouched during a flight. I 'm sure Rory identified that the only way to get them to work again is to pull the USB connector and replace it.
The subject has surfaced, at my end, because I'm currently over the Atlantic, in a Virgin A340. I'd been in the other room for about twenty minutes, leaving the thing on autopilot, at FL350 and at m .84. When I came back it was very nose high and doing 150 kias. Having tried several other things I eventually tested the rudder, by enabling the parking brake and pressing the brake pedals. If the rudder unit is working the GF park brake switch's light goes out. Mine didn't. With the USB plug pulled and reconnected, the A340 returned to its normal attitude. The odd thing is that this USB hiccup always puts the rudder onto full deflection.

Finally getting to the point, since this is thought to be XP related, it will presumably carry over to FSX?

On long flights I normally avoid the problem by disabling controls, until approaching my destination. The downside of this is that the Yoke is also disabled, so I can't look around, by using the Hat switch. As an alternative, is there such a thing as a make / break switch, to put in the line between pedals and PC? I could then disable just the pedal unit.