[jhb_airlines] Re: Red Alert

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:01:17 +0100

I recall that the Isle of Wight scenery produced by the VFR Add-ons group
was of similar intent - this being a demo area to show the full potential of
the FS Library system. Similarly the VFR Scenery group wanted to release a
demo area of the England and Wales scenery for FS98 and we chose the Isle of
Man for the demo material.

The difference with Alderney is twofold. First it isn't free like the Isle
of Man and Isle of Wight sceneries were. This is understandable considering
Darren has to feed his kids whilst he continues to work on FS scenery
design. In this respect I can see parallels with John Farrie who wanted to
continue full time on FS design rather than find a job and relegate his FS
work to his spare time only. This is obviously a difficult decision to make
and I respect both for choosing as they did.

The second point about the Alderney scenery is that it is not a question
about the size of the product but  of its quality. The problem here is that
assessment of quality is a personal matter and some people can appreciate it
more than others. Just as some people couldn't tell a fine wine from a
bottle of plonk there will be FS users who would never see the finer nuances
of detailed scenery because they haven't developed the subtle appreciation
of it.

Whether users wish to purchase the scenery or not based on their budget
restraints is entirely understandable. It's rather different, and somewhat
unfair, to criticise the scenery itself just because of its pricing.