[jhb_airlines] Re: Red Alert

  • From: Mike Lucas <mhlucas@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 10:25:58 +0100

I have been watching this correspondence with interest.

Although I am personally unlikely to purchase the Alderney add-on, because it is an area where I seldom fly, I am inclined to agree with those who describe it as a showcase for VFR third-party scenery and Darren's skill in producing it. In relative terms you could argue that it is expensive in £ per square mile covered, but in absolute terms it is a modest outlay for a remarkable bit of scenery.

I hadn't thought about the social philosophy articulated by Gerry but I would certainly subscribe to his comments.

Mike L

Gerry Winskill wrote:
Frank,

See my reply to the FT.

Not that it's anyone else's business but I live entirely on my UK company pension, plus OAP. Beyond that I'm not prepared to go. It's a bit early in the day to take offence but I've managed it!

The designer of the scenery isn't retired, has a young family and was made redundant by Horizon. The business he's just set up, so I understand, will be his only source of income. Although not a charity, I regard my modest investment of £17 as going to a deserving cause. Fortunately I can afford it. I must admit that I hadn't thought that I should expect to get my money's worth out of any charity to which I've given.

In addition, spending such a modest amount on this piece of Payware somewhat reduces the feelings of unease I have about the large volume of Freeware scenery that has brought me so much pleasure, over many years.