[jhb_airlines] Re: Red Alert

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:08:20 +0100

Frank,

You've inadvertantly lit my blue touchpaper.

Recent coverage shows that the Isle of Man's financial affairs have been independently rated as at least on a par with the UK. Your darling Chancellor has chosen to refer to it as a tax haven in the Irish Sea as a tactic to divert attention from himself. When challenged, his civil servants said he didn't really mean that, though unclear on what he really meant; so it was just a simple porkie. For some years the IOM Govt has been allowing access to data on the inflow of cash. Retired UK residents with pensions from UK companies still have to pay tax in the UK, despite not being allowed to vote for those who control tax rates.

The main gripe that higher tax regimes have with the Island is that our government doesn't waste as much money so doesn't need to tax its residents at the same high level. We have our own self funded National Health Service but not the vast numbers who are, uselessly, employed to monitor all aspects of it. The Island's economy is run much more like yours and mine; how much have we got, so how much can we spend. Over your side it's more a question of "this is what we want to do and here's your share of the bill.

I'm here for two reasons; my wife is Manx and for the quality of life. It's the second that has attracted the majority of incomers, only a small minority having arrived because taxation is lower. I enjoy being able to go out and leave the doors unlocked. I don't own a lock and chain for either of my motor bikes. The children can be seen walking home from school unaccompanied. You can't put a price on that.

I can't of course speak for Alderney. My version isn't real.

Gerry Winskill

Frank Turley wrote:
Hi Frank,

I too was disappointed with the price of this release, for an island measuring approx 1 mile wide by 4 miles long. I had hoped it would be a nominal price to showcase the author's talents, to whet our appetites further releases.

By comparison, one can buy the photoscenery of the Hawaiian island of Oahu, which I approximate to measure 10 miles east to west, and 30 miles north to south, at Simmarket today for EUR11.99

I would have liked to support the new venture, but alas I don't live in a tax haven.

Frank T.

----- Original Message ----- From: "F FISHER" <ffisher991@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>