[jhb_airlines] Re: Reality Check

  • From: "Bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:55:43 +0100

A good site indeed - although it hints a bit of information overload.

For most internal UK flights a pilot will get the following data:

1. A synoptic chart. (Go to http://euro.wx.propilots.net/, click on the =
top
left drop down box and go to Fronts and SLP and under London WAFC click =
on
Surface Analysis)

2. The usual METAR and TAF listings for his route.
3. Forecast winds (MetForm 214 for UK and 414 for Europe).
4. Forecast weather (MetForm 215 - 415 for Europe).

The last three can be found at the UK Met Office site at
http://www.metoffice.com/aviation/index.html. You need to register for =
this
service but it is free. After you do this go to the Login page, enter =
your
details and then press the Launch button.

There are quite a few services to choose from but the Forms list on the =
left
and the TAF and METAR Bulletins are the basics - and what we would print =
off
for most pilot briefings.

In addition to the above the pilots would take note of any SIGMET =
warnings -
not available from the Met Office site but they can be found at the =
euro.wx
site.