[jhb_airlines] Re: Realism

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:12:55 +0100

True of the later C172's but up to about 1972 all C172's and C150's were
Continental engines (O-200-A and O-300-A). These had bad carb icing compared
with the Lycoming.

You're wrong about Warriors though. All Cherokee variants have been
Lycomings from the very start. In fact I can only think of the Cub range out
of Piper's whole production that may have been fitted with Continentals.
Cessna were the opposite and used Continentals in all their aircraft - from
the C150 right up to the C421. The engines in the twins need far more
careful handling than those of the Piper twins - you have to reset the
mixture every 2000ft in the climb/descent. They are also far more prone to
shock cooling. Lycomings are far more tolerant.

Having said that I'm no great fan of Lycoming either. They still use the
same basic engine as was designed for the PA28-140 back in 1950 and lack of
engine development since has, I am sure, had a lot to do with the woeful
state of GA this past decade. It's no wonder people are flocking to buy
DA40's and DA42's these days. I sat in a DA42 last week and was quite
impressed with it.