[jhb_airlines] Re: Realism

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 04:57:52 +0100

I don't know the tyre pressures of F1 cars so it's hard to say whether they
were truly aquaplaning or simply lost traction enough to stop then driving
through corners at their normal speeds. There again they have downforce
enhancers on their cars and this probably messes up the normal aquaplaning
formula.

The formula is 9 x SQRT(Tyre Pressure). That means for the average car with
30psi the aquaplaning speed is 50mph. Slower than that you just lose a bit
of traction but at that speed enough of a bow wave is created ahead of the
tyre to effectively start the vehicle surfing on the water. Once that
happens there's not a lot you can do except sit back and enjoy the ride.

I recall seeing some film of aircraft aquaplaning and the horrible thing for
the pilots is that once it happened they had no control and there was no
further deceleration of the aircraft. The recent accident in Brazil may well
have been from this cause.