[jhb_airlines] Re: Realism

  • From: "bones" <bones@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:22:47 +0100

Carb heat use depends on the aircraft type and how neurotic the pilot is.

The C150's I learned to fly in were Continental engines and would ice up
very easily. We used to apply carb heat downwind and leave it on to
touchdown. I even had carb icing one day when climbing out on full power -
something that I've never experienced since.

Lycoming engines are better and you apply carb heat at the beginning of the
downwind check and then close it when the check is complete. I've had icing
on some flights but it was easily recognised and never the worry I found on
the early Cessna's.