[jhb_airlines] Re: RE WEDNESDAY NIGHT EVENT

  • From: FrankTurley@xxxxxxx
  • To: jhb_airlines@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:07:20 EST

fredstopforth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Frank,thanks for looking after me on Wed night things can only keep  getting
better with experience. Will have to put myself on the grass areas  to listen
and observe how things are said and done when some events take  place.Fred

Fred,

I haven't been doing this very long, so I can remember what its like when
you start. My advice is -
(a) Always stand by with a pencil and notepad, to note ATC  instructions. If
you rely on your memory you'll get caught when things get  frantic.
(b) Read up on the various steps you go through on a flight, they are  not
always the same, but you should expect something like flight plan clearance,
followed by clearances for push-back and start, taxi to the active runway, and
take-off. In the air you will receive directions on altitude and headings
(also  known as vectors). ATC will direct you onto the ILS at your destination,
and  give you permission to land. Once on the ground you are expected to clear
the  active runway, push the stand-by button, and ask for permission to taxi to
the  stand/parking. Once you understand these steps, when you start on line
flying  hopefully you won't be surprised too often by ATC!
(c) Start with an aircraft you are very familiar with, as you need to
respond quickly to the given instructions without thinking too much about the
controls.
(d) Don't be afraid to ask about anything you don't understand, our ATC
chaps are very patient and helpful.

If you have any questions that occur to you about the process, you can
always consult this mailing list, I do frequently!

Happy landings

Frank T.